Question : I am not feeling well. I can’t sleep at night and I have lost my appetite also. Everything feels numb around me. I am able to sleep just 4-5 hours in a day and I am in this situation since a few months now. How can I overcome this?
Thanks for reaching out and sharing your concern. Sleep disturbance is a sign that is given by our body whenever we experience trauma or anxiety. It can be oversleep, insomnia, or strange dreams. At this point in time, it is very difficult to deal with the situation in a calmer way but if we want we can do that. When we become calmer and start accepting this situation while also trying to make efforts to deal with this pandemic, our sleep routine will be in place automatically. The reason for insomnia can also be lack of physical activity. As we all are at home and some of us have been attending online schools and working from home, our physical activity has gotten very less and that can also affect our sleeping patterns. Another reason can be that people might be spending more hours on their phones as they don’t have schools/offices the next day. The light emitted from the phones are giving signals to our brains that it is still day time and that is disrupting the sleeping patterns. To deal with this you can do the following things –
- Follow a routine everyday.
- Exercise regularly
- Don’t forget to do a self-care routine everyday.
- Avoid stressors like news about COVID-19, number of cases and deaths specially before going to sleep.
- Keep your bedroom space only for sleeping.
- Try to minimise the use of the phone at night.
- Try to imagine positive and good things while sleeping. This will give your brain a soothing signal which helps in calming your mind.
Hope this helps. If you have any other query, do revert to us between 11am-9pm or drop us an offline message