We are expected to get everything put in order by conformity, get the right degree at the right time, get a job at the right time, start family at the right time and so on. This cycle of generational rush contributed by emotional and physical exhaustion never ends. Failure is always looked down upon and Second Chances feel like they are fictional fantasies.
We need to redefine our take on taking a break. This is beyond having a scoop of ice-cream in between lectures or a walk at the park between study sessions. Sometimes our efforts need a broader timeline than usual and competition is not so healthy for a few than it is for the others. When we cannot achieve our goal to crack an exam in the first go, if we are very determined to walk down that path, it’s fine to take another chance in getting things in order.
Benefits of a drop year:
- You get to focus on one thing as you dedicate an entire academic year to it.
- You have been through the entire process once before; the first hand simulation helps in better understanding what the exams demand from you.
- You understand which concepts need more polishing from your side.
- The pressure isn’t as intense as it was before as a significant chunk of the syllabus was covered in the past.
- The revision helps in remembering certain concepts better.
- You can contribute some amount of time in self care and investing in your mental well being as things needn’t be assessed from scratch.
A second chance or re-exam mellows down the effect of a situation’s novelty and helps you in easing out. Always remember that in order to launch an arrow, you need to draw it backwards before it hits the aim. You may feel like you’re behind your batch mates in terms of success or academics, but believe that it is worth the leap to take things at a slower pace and not at the cost of your holistic well being. Affirm yourself to resume unapologetically, you deserve much more than you think and it cannot be determined by conformity.
You can also share your feeling with our experts by clicking on Chat With Us