Unlike physical abuse, emotional abuse does not leave any scars. However, it has a huge impact on our self-esteem and confidence. Emotional abuse can be in various forms, some of which might not be obvious at first. Anyone who is in an abusive relationship faces emotional abuse at some point in time or another. If you too feel that yours might also be an abusive relationship, there are a few things you can do yourself to get support.
How it feels:
- You feel you are not good enough
- You are afraid that your partner will leave you
- Your partner puts you down or calls you names
Most of the unhealthy relationship involves forms of emotional abuse. A person who abuses you emotionally wants to remove your feelings of self-worth and independence. In such a relationship, one might feel that there is no way out or you are nothing and you will have nothing without your partner. Emotional abuse can be as destructive and damaging as physical abuse and can deeply influence your mental health. It is a common practice of physical abuser to abuse the victim emotionally too as a way of maintaining power and control.
Types of emotional abuse:
- Verbal violence – yelling, insulting or swearing at you
- Rejection – pretending not to notice your presence, or ignoring your conversation.
- Put-downs – calling you names or telling you that you’re stupid, publicly embarrassing you, blaming you for everything.
- Causing fear – making you feel afraid, intimidated or threatened.
- Isolation – limiting your freedom of movement, stopping you from contacting other people
- Financial dependence – controlling or withholding your money, preventing you from working, stealing from you.
- Bullying – purposely and repeatedly saying or doing things that are hurtful to you.
The impact of emotional abuse
It is true that the scars of emotional abuse cannot be seen, but they are real and long-lasting. They not only have a negative effect on your self-esteem and confidence but also can leave you feeling depressed, anxious and even suicidal.
If this sounds like you and you are experiencing emotional abuse, it’s important that you seek help. Our experts are always there to help you, you can chat with them or send an email to email@example.com